Tuesday, October 14, 2008

They Seldom Mention Rejection

Business, Network Marketing.

Reject me, please - - how a single word can make you wildly successful - i used to call it the" r" word. Because of this I took low paying jobs, never had the guts to approach women, and was afraid to speak in public.


It terrified me. - when someone told me" no, " i took it personal. Originally, rejection meant" to throw out. " In my personal experience, that' s exactly how it feels. There must be something wrong with me. Discarded, turned away like an unwanted puppy, or an old shoe that' s seen better days. I went out of my way to keep from being rejected. I avoided rejection at all cost.


The high - paying job would probably reject me, so I' ll apply for the minimum wage job instead. - i looked cool enough. The pretty girl can' t turn me down if I don' t speak to her. I sang in a band. Just don' t say that word. I conveyed a Mick Jagger attitude to the world, but inside me a scared little girl covered her face, afraid someone would say, "No. " Ignore me all you want.


In those days, if somebody were to tell me that rejection can actually be a good thing, I would have wondered from which mental institution they had recently escaped. - how can it be anything but? Rejection, by its very nature, is pure pain. Rejection is what the body does to a new organ it can' t accept, or a mama cat does to the smallest of her litter, because she feels she' s wasting her energy on something that doesn' t have a chance. Anyone suggesting such a thing has surely lost touch with reality. A good thing? However, throughout most of the 1800' s and the early part of the 1900' s candles and oil lamps provided most interior lighting.


Imagine the absurdity of someone suggesting another way to light a room! - for millennia, man used only, in fact fire for heat and light. Or, what if someone approached you in the late 1970' s about investing in personal computers. If you' re like me, you probably would have laughed and moved on. This person actually believed that one day almost every family in the US would own one. Thomas Edison and Bill Gates persevered when most of us would have stopped.


They trudged on through endless rejection. - sure, both were extremely successful, but they also shared another commonality. Their visions propelled them beyond the shortsightedness of the naysayers. According to Robert Kiyosaki, the most successful people are always the most rejected. Today, hardly a person on this planet hasn' t heard their names. Take a moment to think about that.


Of course, most Network Marketers find this anathema to what they' ve been taught. - if it' s true, and simple observation will prove that it is, it means that there is no surer way to become a failure than to avoid rejection. Our companies teach us to tell people how wonderful our products are with the assumption they will magically jump into our businesses. I find this counter - productive. They seldom mention rejection. Reality, at least my reality, dictates that when marketing, most of your prospects will reject you.


So bad, you might consider, in fact quitting after your first few prospecting calls. - unless you prepare yourself for that reality, which initially i didn' t, it stings. In all this rejection, some good news, however hides. In fact, if only a relative few decide to join your opportunity, that can make you extremely successful. You don' t have to sign up or sell a very high percentage of your prospects. How?


That' s just a little over 2 per cent! - the training company i' m with teaches that of every 45 dials you make, you can count on 1 new downline member. What does that mean? Being right only 2 per cent of the time can make you very rich. You don' t have to be right 51 per cent of the time, or even 40 per cent of the time. Granted, finding those diamonds in the rough can be painful. The hang - ups, the, the rudeness" I didn' t request any information from your stupid company! " We' ve all been there, at least those of us who have at least some degree of success.


Those of you who prospect via the phone know what I' m talking about. - human beings naturally run from pain toward pleasure. If you find your job, or life are, future satisfactory, you' ll probably not succeed in Network Marketing. If your current situation doesn' t inflict enough pain, you might not be able to jump the rejection hurdle. In a very real sense, today I crave rejection. I honestly thank those who reject me. I jump right into it like cool water on a hot day.


I realize that the more I' m rejected, the more successful I become. - you' ll make my day. So, if you get a prospecting call from me, please don, Gregory McGuire' t hesitate to say, "Not interested! " and hang up. Of course, I' d rather you do something else, like - - well, you know.

No comments: